Get custom programming done at GetAFreelancer.com!

Google

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Holy Thursday

April 15, 2006

I creased my eyes to the biting heat of the summer sun as I hailed a motor cab.

" To the church please", I said.

The driver nodded, when a man past middle age hailed the cab also. I let him pass by me because my destination was nearer.

He muttered a "thanks", then he continued in a loud voice.

"What a life! You never can tell! Just last week I talked to my friend. We were happy talking.
I even asked him if he had a medical checkup. Never did. Now he's dead. That's where I came from." He pointed to a funeral parlor behind us.

"Heart attack." He continued . Since he was apparently addressing to me, I asked him politely.

"How old is he?"

"Only seventy years old, and I'm seventy seven. My good friend, huh!" shaking his head.

I was really in no mood for small talk. Usually, when I'm on a ride on the way downtown, my mind takes note of my itinerary, as I have a sick husband at home. But out of respect to this seemingly respectable old man who wanted to unburden himself I answered:

"He's lucky to have reached that age. Nowadays, people die young, due perhaps to the food we eat, and the dust and chemicals in the air we breathe. Besides, thousands perished in recent calamities without warning, regardless of age, young and old, rich or poor. The best that we can do is to pray and be prepared always."

His voice softened a bit.

"I think you're right." he said.

The pain of loss of a dear friend had hit this old man so hard that compelled him to talk even to a stranger like me. Fear of death is inherent in man. Yet we are taught that death is the necessary passage to eternal life. As we grow older , fear is diminished by the expectation of a beautiful life thereafter.

I told him that my husband is paralyzed for more then one year now, after a stroke. There were times when I woke up early at dawn to hear him asking the Lord, to end his sufferings. Much as we ask the Lord to hear our prayers, we say, "Not my will, but Yours be done, oh Lord."

He asked me many things about our health and how we must have regular checkups. I told him not to forget about God's miracles too. He told me he was at Faith hospital and he knew my daughter , when he asked me of my whereabouts.

He was smiling now.

When I alighted at the church, I told him, "Just pray for your friend."

As I approached the gate, He called out, "Thank you , Sister! We'll just pray!"

Was I glad! I did not even know him, but on this Holy Thursday, I had enlightened a stranger to the will of God in my own simple way. Despite my own problems today, I felt lighter.

No comments:

TIME: Quote of the Day

Powered By Blogger